Bespoke wellness experience / Hugo Martini Mensch
Hugo Martini Mensch is a Brazilian-Italian Entrepreneur and Personal Trainer. In 2015, Hugo founded Helios Retreats, aimed to create bespoke wellness experiences to like-minded travellers. Helios Retreats has successfully grown to offer more than twenty annual retreats in six different countries, including Greece, Italy, a residency at the luxury Anantara resorts in the Maldives and others.
- How would you describe yourself in three words?
Resilient, a dreamer and a bit stubborn!
- Your life must have changed a lot since creating Helios Retreats. Where did the idea come from and how did it change your habits?
Creating Helios has definitely changed my life, seven years on and I’m still learning and evolving. It all started from travelling with clients as a personal trainer. I was able to identify a gap in the market early on. There’s plenty of fitness people who love travel and want to keep fit whilst enjoying a holiday. Back then, it was a bit of novelty, nowadays it’s part of a lifestyle.
- How do you choose the right location for your retreats?
I like to go to locations that will tick places off your bucket list. Mykonos (our first retreat) had that sophisticated vibe with a touch of Greek hospitality. Nowadays we are invited to a lot of new destinations so we try to choose places with unique touches. We recently started working closely with the Anantara hotels and they have amazing luxury resorts around the world. We run retreats in the Maldives and Sri Lanka. Some other amazing locations are in the pipeline.
- What makes Helios Retreats different from other wellness retreats?
I think we strike the perfect balance between a retreat and a holiday. You get to train hard with our trainers but we also add incredible activities to the schedule. When you’re in Morocco, we’ll take you to the Sahara, or in Tuscany, we’ll invite you to a wine tour. You’ll definitely go home fitter but also with memories that will last a lifetime.
- What are the most important benefits your clients can experience from attending Helios Retreats?
Outstanding customer service. Luxury stays. The best fitness trainers and new friends from all over the world.
- Is physical preparedness required to be able to participate?
All levels are welcome but be prepared to train! The only thing required to attend is an open mind and positive vibes.
- How do you keep everyone in the group motivated and engaged?
Our trainers, our yogis and our hosts are there to take our clients on a journey from beginning to when it’s time to say ‘see you soon!’ It’s important to give every client special attention and show them we are there for them, every step of the way.
- What is the best piece of advice you can give to anyone wishing to attend your next session? What do you recommend your clients once they’re back from the retreat?
Come as you are, have an open mind and be curious! You can meet some amazing people out there.
Post retreat - continue to do everything you’re able to do there: early sessions, experiment new things (boxing, yoga, meditation) and continue to have a beginners mindset.
- How does collaboration with Bondi Wash reflect your philosophy?
To start with, the quality of the products from BW are in line with Helios. We share a similar philosophy so I’m really happy we’re starting this, watch this space!
- Lastly, can you share with us your best memory from some of the retreats?
It’s always amazing to meet people from all walks of life. I’ve had some amazing friendships from meeting guests on the retreats. The people are always what drew me to it. I’m fascinated by beautiful minds and, almost at every retreat, you meet at least one of them.